Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Trends that Capture our Attention

Blogging Challenge Day 24

Which learning trend captures your attention the most, why?

Jamie-Flipped Classroom is something that really intrigues me.  I like the idea of kids watching short videos/podcasts to learn content at home, and then students returning to school ready to practice, discuss, and/or complete projects.  I have experimented with this in my classroom by having my students listen to me doing a read aloud at home as a first read of a piece of text that we will be working on the next day in class.  The kids for the most part came to class the next day prepared to complete a second closer look at the text.  In my opinion, it was a good first experience with using the flipped classroom approach.  It gave me more class time for Close Reading and discussion.  I really like the idea of me spending less time instructing with my meager 46 minutes class period and more time facilitating as well as conferring with my students.  It makes sense that students should practice at school with me what they have learned, viewed, or listened to at home.   I can then provide them support and make sure I am clearing up misconceptions as they work.  The idea of being a facilitator in my classroom has always been appealing to me, so I think this Flipped Classroom thing is something I am really going to like the more I explore and use it.












Meg-The BYOD-Bring Your Own Device-trend in education is intriguing to me.  Students bringing their own tablets, laptops, e-readers, and smart phones provides a great opportunity for connectivity in school if the district does not have the funds to purchase enough devices for students.  It also allows students to see these devices as means for accessing academic information, which may shed new light on a device otherwise used for social communication.  There is so much to be discussed when using any internet-connected device with students from leaving a positive digital footprint to finding reliable research sources.  Here's a succinct post from THE Journal that you may find interesting for some follow up reading on trends in educational technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment