Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bringing Our Hobbies/Interests Into The Classroom

Blogging Challenge Day 21:

Do you have other interests/hobbies that you bring to your classroom teaching?  Explain

Jamie:  One thing I like to do in my spare time is to practice yoga.  I find it to be very helpful in keeping my sanity as a teacher.  It calms me, and it helps me to be more centered.   In fact my yoga teacher certified me as an instructor for the purpose of using it with my students.  Early in my practice of yoga, I would share and demonstrate to my students the breathing techniques of yoga to help relieve students' anxiety before tests/quizzes.   It has also come in handy to help my students transition from lunch to English class (or anytime they need to calm down).   You will also hear me telling my students to use it before dance recitals or sporting competitions.  Over the years, I've had many students tell me that it really does work.  As I progressed through the process of getting myself certified, I began doing yoga poses with my students during advisory, as part of an after school program, and even as one of the reward activities for our school's PBIS celebration day.  The kids are always amazed to find that it takes flexibility, concentration, and balance to complete each pose.  My yoga teacher passed away a few years ago at the age of 92.  I think she would be very happy to know that I am passing on what she taught me to future generations.

Meg:  I'm pretty sure you all know by now that I'm a traveler.  There is nothing I love more than exploring a new culture in a new region and having adventures along the way.  I use the stories of my travels not only to build rapport with my students but also as entry points for showing students how math can be used in real life.  Currency exchange rates, travel distance calculations, budgeting for a trip...the list can truly be endless.  Any time I can make connections to math outside of the classroom AND have an excuse to talk about some of my international adventures, I am in teacher heaven.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment