Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Challenges in Education

Blogging Challenge Day 17:

What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?

Jamie: I feel like I am in a profession that is always under attack. In my opinion, this is the most challenging issue facing education today.  At times it can be hard to go to work each day and to maintain a positive attitude. There are people trying to take my collective bargaining rights away, there are people trying to take my pension away, there are people who feel that my curriculum needs to be more data driven, and then there are people who feel we need the CCSS to reform my curriculum. It seems like everyone has an opinion, and I can't tell you how tired I am of education being a political football. I believe "we" are chasing really good teachers out of education and/or preventing good people from even going into education to begin with--this scares me!  

I love my profession.  I love being a teacher, and I am worried about the teachers that will come after me.  Mostly, I am worried about how these things will impact students and the future of America.

Meg: There are so many hot button issues in education.  Like Jamie, I do think it is frustrating to be in a profession that is not always respected.  One of the issues that can be a contributing factor to that is the issue of teacher accountability.  What is the best way to hold teachers accountable for ensuring students learn?  No Child Left Behind didn't seem to work, so perhaps Race to the Top and the Common Core will help?  Or is the new state evaluation system the answer?  It is hard to come up with a concrete answer, and because of this challenge, many educators are feeling uncertain about their future and the future of our profession.


No comments:

Post a Comment