Friday, September 19, 2014

Student Reflection

Blogging Challenge Day 19

Name three powerful ways students can reflect on their learning, then discuss closely the one you use most often.
Jamie:  

  1. Conferencing both individually and/or in small groups
  2. Having students keep a portfolio of work.
  3. Having students complete an Exit Slip
I am a big fan of Exit Slips.  They provide students with an opportunity to process their thoughts and to think critically about something newly learned.  The teacher is given a quick way to check for understanding as well as a way to  quickly assess whether or not further instruction is needed. In fact, I like to use them during presentations at teacher institutes, workshops and/or conferences to get quick feedback from our attendees/audience.  

Exit slips can take on many different forms.  We've used note cards, sticky notes, Padlet, and of course just a piece of paper. 
Here is an example of one of my favorite Exit Slips:
3:  Tell me three things you learned today.
2:  Tell me two questions you still have about today's lesson.
1:  Tell me one thing you want to explore further or learn more about.


Meg-

My favorite tool for student reflection is a shared journal.  I personally have my students use a Google Doc that is shared with me, but you can also use a traditional notebook for a journal.  After a larger formative assessment as well as every summative assessment, I have students reflect on their work habits and preparation leading up to their assessment.  Asking them to think about their work habits allows them to realize that the decisions they have been making end up affecting their ability to learn content.  The most crucial component is the action plan that is created after reflecting on their past work habits.  Having students figure out how to maintain success or change work habits to improve promotes self-efficacy and is empowering to the student.  Another wonderful tool for student reflection is having them self-assess on a rubric prior to submitting any major project.  In my early teaching years, I would simply hand students a rubric for a project and send them on their merry way.  However, I now know that it is best practice for students to self-assess prior to submitting a project or completing a performance assessment because it makes them more aware of their success in meeting the requirements prior to the actual assessment.  Finally, making corrections and revisions to their work is another great strategy for student reflection.  I always tell my students it is okay to make mistakes, but it is important that they learn from them.  This is a lesson that is applicable far beyond the walls of my classroom, and I am hopeful that as they learn this lesson with me they will be able to learn from their mistakes in many contexts throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment