Monday, September 1, 2014

Challenge Accepted: the 30 Day Teacher Blogging Challenge



 
 



Taking the Challenge! Meg and I have decided to take the 30 Day Blogging Challenge posted by Te@chThought.com.  The challenge asks teachers to blog during the 30 days of September with the goal of becoming a more reflective teacher.  Each day a prompt is given to guide you in the blogging process.  It can’t get any easier than that, right?  So,  see the link below and join us in this great opportunity to become better at our craft--teaching!.




Day 1 of the challenge:

Write your goals for the school year. Be as specific or abstract as you’d like to be!
Jamie-As I start my 21st year in the classroom, I continue to struggle with implementing the readers and writers workshop philosophy into my middle school English classroom.  Trying to fit time to teach mini-lessons, for students to write, and me to conference all in a 45 minute class period can be very difficult.   It is also very hard to maintain conferences over 5 class periods with over a 100 students. So, this is definitely something I am working on improving.  Secondly, I want to work on being more consistent in maintaining my word wall.  I always start off strong, and then by mid-year I taper off. One last goal would be to also work on maintaining my “Bell Ringers”.  I love to have something for students to complete as they enter my classroom.  However, once again, I start the year off strong with fun and interesting prompts, and then it somehow dwindles.  If I could improve on these three things, it would be quite an accomplishments.  Here’s to another year of trying!

Meg-I have transitioned back to teaching sixth grade this year, and in just the two short years of teaching eighth grade it was easy for me to forget how many differences there are between these two ages of students! In light of this, one of my goals is to provide structures for my sixth grade students that will promote self-sufficiency. In order to do that, I am attempting to use my class website a bit differently this year than I have in the past. The sixth graders are piloting iPads, and I want them to use these iPads to help them self-start at the beginning of class. As a part of our daily routine, I am having the students first go to my class website on their iPad where they will find the supplies needed for class, the essential questions for the day, directions for stations (if we are doing stations that day in class), as well as the homework assignment for the night. Hopefully this will be a helpful resource that will support students in being more self sufficient. Another goal of mine, similar to Jamie's, is maintaining consistency with using a math workshop approach in my classroom. Although it may not be something I use every day, I do want to use this model on a regular basis to provide a good balance of instruction, remediation, and independent work time that is more tailored to the needs of each student.

No comments:

Post a Comment