Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Teacher Evaluation Goal

Day 3 Blogging Challenge:

Discuss one "observation" area that you would like to improve on for your teacher evaluation.

Jamie-
One goal I have this year, connected to our district's teacher evaluation rubric,
is found under the Professional Responsibilities Domain. I would like to work on increasing the amount of communication I have with parents. I believe I do a good job of posting grades on our web-based grading system, I keep up with my website, and email parents when students are struggling academically or emotionally.  However, I want to get better at sending home positive email/notes to parents when their child is doing well. I used to do this when I taught 6th grade, and I got away from it when I moved up a grade to teach 7th grade English.
I think it is important to celebrate the positives.
Also, I would like to be more consistent about sending home "homework alerts" via email before a big assignment/assessment might be due.  I know that parents have busy schedules, and they might appreciate a quick email alert instead of having to check my website. Hmm...maybe I could even use Twitter?

Meg-
As I mentioned in our first post of the 30 day teacher challenge, one of my goals is to put structures in place to help my sixth graders become more self-sufficient. This also means I need to help students become better at self-monitoring their progress. I have grown leaps and bounds in the realm of using formative assessment over the course of my teaching career as a means for informing my instruction and interventions. However, when I recently read chapter one from the book Advancing Formative Assessment by Susan M. Brookhart and Connie M. Moss I was immediately struck with a realization that I don't put as much emphasis on creating a partnership with my students in these formative assessments. One of the goals on our observation rubric refers to helping our students be self-directed learners. By creating a partnership mentality with my students throughout all formative assessments, they will become more aware of their progress and hopefully more motivated to continue to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment