Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Super Teacher Power



Blogging Challenge Day 16-Tues

If you could have one superpower to use in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?
Meg- Can my superpower be that I have an infinite number of superpowers?  No!?  Shoot.  Okay, then I guess my single superpower (how unfair) of choice would be to magically know how to perfectly differentiate for each and every student.  To me, differentiation is one of the hardest parts about teaching because literally every single child is different.  They have different background knowledge, different strengths and weaknesses, and different interests.  What works for one student certainly does not work for all.  While I have some good differentiation strategies up my sleeve, I realistically do not employ the perfect strategy for every child.  With every new group of students I teach, I am constantly challenged to find the glass slipper--the perfect instructional fit--for each child.  Sometimes I am successful, and many times I am not.  But if I had the superpower to perfectly differentiate, what a wonderful world it would be!

Jamie-If I could have only one superpower, I would want to have the ability to grade papers with a single scan of my eyes.  Along with this single scan ability, I would like the ability to blink my eyes to transfer my scan into insightful revision/editing comments for all my student writers.  Also, I joke with my students all the time about being able to jump inside their heads to pull answers out of them.  So, this scanning ability would be great to also scan their thoughts, but maybe this would be a bit scary.  I may not want to know what they’re thinking, right?  Seriously, I love being an English teacher, but there are times when I go home with an incredible amount of grading.  My students need me to help guide them as writers, but it can be very hard to meet each students individual needs.  A super scanning power is just what I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment